Distracted driving crackdown launched by Windsor police
Operation Stay Focused will run the entire month of May
Windsor police are launching Operation Stay Focused for the month of May to warn motorists about the dangers of distracted driving.
Drivers are not fully concentrating on the road if they are multi-tasking while driving, said police.
They cite the leading cause of vehicle collisions to be distracted drivers.
"Increasingly, personal injury accident and fatality accident investigations have determined that distracted driving was a contributing factor," said Sgt. Matt D'Asti. "The Operation Stay Focused initiative is being implemented to bring attention to these issues and reduce collisions related to driving distracted."
Likelihood of being in a crash
- Texting on a cell phone - 23 times more likely
- Talking on a cell phone - 4 to 5 times more likely
- Dialling on a handheld device - 3 times more likely
- Reading while driving - 3 times more likely
- Applying makeup - 3 times more likely
- Reaching for a dropped object - 9 times more likely
The Windsor Police Service links to a powerful YouTube video posted by the U.S. National highway Traffic Safety Association as a deterrent of texting and driving.