Windsor

Accidental house fire in Chatham-Kent causes $500K in damages

Crews from three fire stations helped extinguish a fire that was accidentally set Sunday evening at a home in Chatham-Kent, officials said Monday, noting no one was injured and reiterating the importance of having working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

No one injured, crews from 3 fire stations needed to extinguish blaze

This home in Blenheim went up in flames Sunday night, requiring crews from three fire stations to help extinguish it. (Google Maps, Chatham-Kent Fire & Emergency Services)

A structure fire at a home in Chatham-Kent has resulted in damages pegged at $500,000.

The cause of the blaze, which happened Sunday at about 8:30 p.m. ET at a home on Base Road, has been deemed accidental by Chatham-Kent Fire & Emergency Services.

Crews from three fire stations — in Ridgetown, Harwich North and Blenheim — helped extinguish the fire, officials said Monday.

Chatham-Kent Fire & Emergency Services also issued reminders to have working smoke alarms on "every level of your home," and carbon monoxide detectors "outside all sleeping areas" for homes with fuel-burning appliances, a fireplace or an attached garage.

No one was injured in Sunday's blaze.

More from CBC Windsor:

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now