Windsor

$125K McKay house fire caused by electrical failure

An accidental electrical failure caused a house fire on McKay Avenue Monday night, fire investigators say.
A firefighter gives the thumb's up at a house fire on McKay Avenue on Monday. No one was injured. (Mike Evans/CBC/Twitter)

An accidental electrical failure caused a house fire on McKay Avenue Monday night, fire investigators say.

Firefighters responded to the call at about 6 p.m.

Anna Wiebe and her boyfriend own the home. Wiebe says it was her boyfriend's 14-year-old son who called for help.

He was playing in the backyard with their dog and saw smoke coming out a bedroom window.

"I'm just glad that everybody's OK. The things inside are just things, they can be replaced, people can't be," Wiebe said. "So, I'm just glad that nobody was in there, that this wasn't in the middle of the night while we're all sleeping."

Wiebe says due to the smoke damage they won't be able to return home for at least a couple of months.

Fire officials estimate the damage at $125,000.

It's Wiebe's first home. She moved in six months ago.

"We can't go back in until I get a hold of my insurance and talk to the adjuster," she said.

Red Cross is helping the family for the next two nights.

No one was injured.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now