Woman hit by truck while crossing street dies

A 30-year-old woman has died after being struck by a truck while crossing a downtown street.
The intersection of Adelaide Street West and Brant Street was closed for most of the morning while police investigated. (Trevor Dunn/CBC)

A woman died Thursday morning after being struck by a delivery truck in downtown Toronto.

The collision, which happened at the corner of Adelaide Street West and Brant Street at about 7:30 a.m., was the city's 11th pedestrian fatality of the year, up from seven at this time last year. 

Police say the 30-year-old woman was badly injured while crossing the street. She was taken to St. Michael's Hospital with life-threatening injuries. 

She died a short time later.

"At this point we don't know if there is blame to be assessed," said Const. Clinton Stibbe. 

The police said the driver was on a delivery travelling east on Adelaide, making a left turn. They weren't sure whether the woman was crossing north-south or east-west.

Construction worker Nat Armogida said he heard a loud thump. "I turned around and thought the truck had taken out maybe the light post or something. But as I got a little closer, took a look, I saw a body underneath."

Armogida rushed into the intersection to find the woman under the truck moaning in pain.

"When I saw how badly she was bleeding, I figured at least try to help her and especially because she was conscious I thought there's still a chance, you know?" he said.

June Lindenfield heard the commotion and looked out from the second-floor window of her hair salon.

Lindenfield said the driver jumped out of his truck and tried to help the woman. Within seconds police and paramedics were there too.

"They all came rushing in and they were all putting tubes and oxygen masks," she said. 

Armogida wondered if the driver was blinded by the sun. "He came up to me right away. He's crying and he's like, 'I didn't see her. I didn't see her.'"

Police said that the driver was co-operating with their investigation. No charges had been laid by late afternoon.

The intersection was closed for most of the morning while police investigated.

The woman's family has asked that her name not be released.

Her death comes after two pedestrians and one cyclist were involved in separate collisions with vehicles in recent days. The locations of those collisions are shown in the map below.