Toronto

High winds hit Toronto as weather statements and warnings cover southern Ontario

Wind gusts of more than 70 km/h were reported across the Greater Toronto Area Wednesday, as Environment Canada warned of blustery conditions throughout most of southern Ontario.

Environment Canada called for wind gusts of up to 80 km/h Wednesday afternoon

Wind gusts are expected to reach 80 km/h Wednesday afternoon. (John Rieti/CBC)

Wind gusts of more than 70 km/h were reported across the Greater Toronto Area Wednesday, as Environment Canada warned of blustery conditions throughout most of southern Ontario.

Early Wednesday, the federal agency issued a special weather statement for Toronto and surrounding areas, warning of strong winds Wednesday afternoon.

The forecast called for strong southwesterly winds of up to 50 km/h, with the potential for wind gusts to reach 80 km/h.

As of 1 p.m. in the city, winds were coming from the west-southwest at 50 km/h and gusting up to 73 km/h. The temperature was at 7.9 C, just shy of the forecast high of 8 C.

The wind was expected to diminish early in the evening, according to the federal agency.

"These winds may be strong enough to cause some minor tree and building damage," the weather statement said.

"A few local power outages are also possible. Driving conditions may also be difficult at times due to the strong and gusty winds."

60 per cent chance of showers

The weather statement covers areas to the east, north and west of the city, including Halton, Peel, York and Durham Regions. Wind warnings are also in effect for areas further west, including Hamilton.

The windy weather comes on another mild, spring-like day in the city.

The forecast high for Wednesday is 8 C, with a 60 per cent chance of showers late this afternoon. There's a 40 per cent chance of either rain or flurries this evening, with a low of -5 C.

now