Van attack prompting 'talk about misogyny' as motive
Federal ministers call on web giants to rein in online hatred
Theories are emerging about whether a hatred of women could have played a role in Monday's attack in Toronto, in which the driver of a van plowed into pedestrians down a busy street.
Police have so far offered no details on a possible motive, but at a news conference Tuesday referred to a "cryptic" message posted on the Richmond Hill, Ont., man's Facebook account, moments before the deadly attack.
"Private (Recruit) Minassian Infantry 00010, wishing to speak to Sgt 4chan please. C23249161. The Incel Rebellion has already begun! We will overthrow all the Chads and Stacys. All hail the Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger!" reads the post.
Minassian has been charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder and 13 counts of attempted murder. A 14th charge of attempted murder is expected, police said Tuesday.
Time to speak up about hate, MP says
Hajdu, who was at a weekly caucus meeting along with Prime Minister Trudeau, said people are too silent about misogyny and it's time to speak up.
"From my perspective, we have to have a conversation about misogyny, about the rise in hate and the connection to what some call the alt-right," said Hajdu. "I think it's a conversation that's just not being had loudly enough in our society."
A statement from Hajdu's office later sought to distance her remarks from the investigation.
"The minister respects the ongoing investigation the police are doing and agrees it is inappropriate to comment on it," Carlene Variyan said in an email. "She was simply speaking in broad terms, from her experience as status of women minister, about the impacts of misogyny on society writ large. She was not commenting on the ongoing investigation."
'May not be actual answers,' says Trudeau
Asked for his thoughts on the reasons for the attack, Trudeau withheld comment, saying the investigation was ongoing. "A lot of people have questions as to why, and there may or may not be actual answers," he said.
"I think it's early days for us to jump to any conclusions about that," she said.
Pressed further, Wynne said it was "very disturbing that we have venues where this kind of hateful, misogynist language is used, where those attitudes are given permission in some way."
"But I don't think that we can pre-empt or speculate on what the motivation is," she said.
Calls for web giants to act
Asked about online sites where hateful views against women are espoused, federal Heritage Minister Mélanie Joly said criminal behaviour cannot be tolerated online.
Meanwhile, as the investigation continues, the stretch of Yonge Street that became the site of tragedy just two days ago has fully reopened, the remaining yellow tape and display of signs and flowers a reminder of both the carnage seen by the city and its resilience.
Toronto police say they continue to have an "investigative presence" in the area and cannot speak to when the identities of those killed might be released.
"Many families have asked for privacy and the official list of names will not be released until they have all been confirmed," the premier said.
CBC News has confirmed the identities of some of the deceased victims, while court records identified those who were injured.
Mayor John Tory's office announced Wednesday that the city will host a #TorontoStrong vigil Sunday evening at Mel Lastman Square.
This city-hosted vigil, organized in collaboration with community groups Faith in the City and the Toronto Area Interfaith Council, will be a demonstration of Toronto's diverse communities and a display of the city's resiliency.
With files from The Canadian Press