Rosie DiManno, Toronto Star columnist, charged with assault
OPP says 60-year-old was involved in 'physical altercation' in Ontario cottage country
Toronto Star columnist Rosie DiManno has been charged with assault, a spokesperson for the newspaper confirmed.
Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) charged DiManno, 60, with assault following a July 12 incident. The OPP said the alleged assault took place on Finnegan Lane in Wollaston Township, Ont., which is approximately 230 kilometres northeast of Toronto.
In a news release, the OPP said a "physical altercation" had taken place between two people who were visitors to the township located in a popular cottage area.
Police have released no details about the incident or alleged victim. Nor did police say if children had been involved in the incident, as DiManno insinuated on Twitter.
The longtime writer tweeted to Toronto radio personality Mike Bullard that: "Children need defending. Can't just allow abuse."
<a href="https://twitter.com/MikeBullard1010">@MikeBullard1010</a> I'm fine, thanks. Children need defending. Can't just allow abuse.—@RDiManno
In a separate tweet, DiManno wrote that she "will always defend kids."
<a href="https://twitter.com/kingbakess">@kingbakess</a> oh I'm still a cool broad. And I will always defend kids—@RDiManno
DiManno is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Bancroft on July 26.
The news of DiManno's arrest broke shortly after Canada's largest newspaper said it had agreed to an independent review of its newsroom culture in the aftermath of the suicide of prominent environmental reporter Raveena Aulakh.
With files from CBC News