5-alarm fire contained at Toronto noodle bar, roads in area now open

A kitchen fire led to an evacuation, but paramedics say no injuries reported so far.

Restaurant at Baldwin and McCaul evacuated after blaze broke out, no injuries yet reported

The fire ravaged through the row-house where the noodle bar had operated since 2013. (Supplied by Dali Mancia)

Toronto emergency workers have contained and downgraded a fire that started in a restaurant kitchen in the downtown core and police tweeted Friday evening that the roads that were closed are now open.

Everyone inside Ryus Noodle Bar, located at 33 Baldwin St., got out safely, said Toronto Fire captain Michael Westwood.

Investigators are looking for residents or witnesses to determine the cause of the blaze. 

Toronto Fire Services said crews were dispatched to the scene around 1:30 p.m. Thirty trucks and 100 firefighters were on the scene at the height of the five-alarm blaze.

The restaurant was serving customers at the time of the fire. 

Beverly Street, from College Street to Dundas Street West, is closed. 

Baldwin Street, from Huron Street to McCaul Street, is also closed.

The fire forced the evacuation of several buildings in the area. (Mark Bochsler/CBC)

Westwood said a smoke detector in a hallway alerted the alarm company, which notified Toronto Fire of the blaze.

"However the fire did escalate quite rapidly, and it worked its way into a common attic," Westwood said.

The fire grew and spread to neighbouring row homes once it reached the attic, he said. 

No injuries have been reported yet.

Kimberly Lyn, a witness at the scene, said she could smell smoke from a few blocks away.

Closer to the fire, an employee at Kumi Sushi Ya, located at 20 Baldwin St., said customers were ushered out by police due to heavy smoke. They were in such a rush they didn't pay, she said.

Madeline Della Mora, who was sitting down for lunch at a restaurant across the street, said she caught a whiff of something that "smelled like a bonfire."

Della Mora noticed smoke coming from Ryus Noodle Bar, but as the street grew foggier, she said people didn't seem panicked.

"There was no stampede," she said.