1 person dead after fire breaks out at Toronto chemical plant

A person has died and another is critically injured after a fire at a Thorncliffe Park chemical plant on Wednesday morning. 

Officials said the incident on Wednesday morning was caused by a chemical spill

An ambulance waits at the scene of a chemical fire which killed one person on Wednesday morning. (Stella Dupuy/Twitter)

An investigation has begun into the cause of a fire that killed one person and left another with life-threatening injuries at a Toronto chemical plant on Wednesday morning. 

Emergency crews were called to the plant near Beth Nealson Drive and Wicksteed Avenue in the Thorncliffe Park area just after 9:50 a.m.

Toronto police originally said they were called to attend to an explosion, but Toronto Fire later clarified that the incident was a chemical fire. 

"Toronto Fire Service has extinguished the fire," said Acting Fire Chief Jim Jessop at a news conference on Wednesday.

"As of right now there is no risk to the public ... we are now just making sure the chemicals involved in this process have been stabilized." 

Acting fire chief Jim Jessop told reporters that the cause of the fire is now being investigated. (CBC)

Toronto Paramedic Services said one person was pronounced dead at the scene, and a man in his 40s was rushed to a trauma centre.

Deputy Commander Shawn Staff also said three other people were assessed at the scene, but not taken to hospital.

Officials said the incident was caused by a chemical spill, but Jessop would not confirm which specific chemicals were involved. 

"Without question our crews were met with a significant chemical fire that took us a while to extinguish," he said.

"These types of fires are much more challenging than the normal types the public is used to because you have to pick a specific extinguishing agent to safely extinguish it and not make the situation worse."

Jessop says the Toronto Police Service and the Office of the Fire Marshal have now begun an investigation to determine what caused the fire. 

A woman who answered the phone at Siltech — a company that makes silicone products — confirmed the fire occurred there, but declined further comment.

The plant has been evacuated and the roads and railway are closed in the area.

Police also said the fire has been classified as an industrial accident, which will be investigated by the Ministry of Labour. 

With files from the Canadian Press


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?