TIFF 2016: TIFF cannibal flick Raw too much for 2 viewers
Publicity team behind movie denies reports that illness was a marketing stunt
Two moviegoers fell ill while watching a horror flick featuring cannibalism at the Toronto International Film Festival earlier this week, touching off speculation that it was a publicity stunt.
However, a publicist for the movie Raw was adamant that there was no hoax and pointed out that earlier online reports that suggested it was a publicity stunt have been corrected.
Turns out, the movie just really didn't sit well with two members of the audience, who were taking in a late-night showing of the French-Belgian movie at Ryerson University.
Toronto paramedics confirmed reports that an ambulance was dispatched to the Midnight Madness screening to deal with a "very minor" medical condition and transported one person to a nearby hospital.
An image shared on Twitter showed an ambulance outside the theatre, sparking the speculation about what happened inside.
Raw <a href="https://twitter.com/mmadnesstiff">@mmadnesstiff</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/colingeddes">@colingeddes</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/TIFF_NET">@TIFF_NET</a> <a href="https://t.co/dASM9LU052">pic.twitter.com/dASM9LU052</a>—@JamesatDHF
In response to the incident, TIFF's vice president of marketing, communications, digital media and creative released a statement saying, "incidents like this sometimes happen at TIFF screenings. The safety and security of all our patrons and guests is a priority for TIFF and any situation where an audience member is feeling unwell is handled with care and due professionalism by our venue teams. We can confirm two patrons did feel unwell during the screening of Raw on Monday night, one of which required the assistance of the emergency services."
The film screened again Tuesday night at Scotiabank Theatre Toronto without incident. Audience member Steph Guo said the film had her "squirming, screeching, and giggling — sometimes all at once."