4 staff members at city-run emergency child-care centre test positive for COVID-19
Jesse Ketchum Early Learning and Child Care Centre to undergo deep cleaning, city says
Four staff members have tested positive for COVID-19 at a licensed child-care centre for children of essential workers, the City of Toronto says.
City officials announced three positive cases on Tuesday evening and confirmed a fourth positive test at the facility on Wednesday.
The Jesse Ketchum Early Learning and Child Care Centre, one of seven emergency child-care centres run by the city that provide care for children of critical service workers, has suspended its services for 14 days. It is located near Davenport Road and Avenue Road.
One other staff member and two children are awaiting test results, Dr. Vinita Dubey, the city's associate medical officer of health said in an email to CBC Toronto.
"Staff and the 58 children who attended the child care centre from April 21 to April 28 will be asked to remain at home for 14 days from their last day at the child care centre and will be excluded from all Toronto emergency child care centres for this same period," Dubey said.
The centre will undergo a deep cleaning and reopen only with the approval of Toronto Public Health.
The city said Toronto Children's Services has been implementing enhanced infection prevention and control procedures at its emergency child care centres that meet public health guidelines.
These procedures include small group sizes for rooms, daily screening, which includes temperature checks of children and staff, and the development of enhanced infection prevention policies and procedures approved by TPH.
"Children's Services, in conjunction with Toronto Public Health, will be reviewing any other procedures that may be put in place to ensure the health and safety of families," the city added.
The city's remaining six emergency child care centres will continue to operate. They are:
- Malvern Early Learning & Child Care, 1321 Neilson Rd., which opened March 31.
- Thomas Berry Early Learning & Child Care, 3495 Lake Shore Blvd. W., which opened March 31.
- Falstaff Early Learning & Child Care, 10 Falstaff Ave., which opened March 31.
- City Kids Early Learning & Child Care, 34 Bathurst St., which opened April 13.
- Danforth Early Learning & Child Care, 1125 Danforth Ave., which opened April 16.
- Metro Hall Early Learning & Child Care, 55 John St., which will open on April 29.