'The truth will come out,' accused in Creba shooting says
One of the men charged in the 2005 Boxing Day shooting death of 15-year-old Jane Creba told reporters outside a Toronto courtroom Friday that he didn't have anything to do with the killing.
"The truth will come out.I didn't have anything to do with it," said Andrew Smith, adding hewas shopping in Foot Locker on Yonge Street at the time of the shooting.
Asked if he had anything to say to the Creba family, he replied: "I'm sorry for your daughter and I'm praying for her to go to heaven."
The 20-year-old, who is charged with manslaughter,made an appearance in Ontario Superior Courtfor a rare hearing to decide on whether to revoke his bail, which wasgranted July 6.
The Crown is seeking to have Smith put back in custody.
Smith was out on bail at the time of the shooting, and had been granted bail twice before on other charges.
Suspect in school, working when arrested
David Midanik, Smith's lawyer, said police have portrayed his client unfairly by only releasing certain information to the public.
"What certainly the police didn't release is that he was going to school full time and they arrest him a week before his exams — which cost him a year — and he also had a part-time job," said Midanik.
"That was not released by the police. All they released was that he had some outstanding charges."
The reasons for the bail review cannot be revealed because of a publication ban.
Critics have accused the court system of being too lenient with the granting of bail.
Smith is one of six men charged with manslaughter in connection with the holiday shooting that killed Creba and injured others when they became caught in the crossfire of what is believed to be a gang-related turf war.
Two adults and one youth arealso charged with second-degree murder.
Superior Court Justice Ian Nordheimer reserved his decision until Monday afternoon.