SIU investigates Mississauga crash that sent officer, 2 men to hospital

The SIU is investigating after an alleged break-in at Square One Shopping Centre in Mississauga that resulted in a car crash that sent two men and an officer to hospital.

Police arrested the 2 suspects, no charges released

A daytime image of the scene outside Square One Mall on Dec. 27, 2018 where Peel police are investigating an alleged overnight break-in. (Paul Smith/Credit)

The Special Investigations Unit is investigating after an alleged break-in at Square One Shopping Centre in Mississauga that resulted in a car crash that sent two men and an officer to hospital. The suspects are also under arrest, according to police. 

According to SIU, a 27-year-old man was seriously injured during the incident. Four investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to the case. 

Two vehicles, a Porsche and a police cruiser, were involved in a brief chase that led to damages. The Porsche crashed into a flower bed and some bushes.

The SIU investigates incidents involving police in which someone is killed, injured or accused of sexual assault.

Injuries followed 'interaction' with police

Police were called to Square One Shopping Centre on City Centre Drive, in the area of Hurontario Street and Burnhamthorpe Road West, at 3:41 a.m. for a report of a break-in, according to Const. Iryna Yashnyk, spokesperson for Peel Regional Police.

Police's canine unit also responded, she added.

Emergency vehicles at the scene of an arrest early Wednesday at Square One Shopping Centre in Mississauga. Peel police say they have arrested two people after an 'interaction' and a brief police chase. (Tony Smyth/CBC)

According to Yashnyk, officers located the two suspects in the area, then the police cruiser and a vehicle collided. 

"There was an interaction where the two culprits and one officer were taken to a local hospital," she told CBC Toronto.

Crash occurred in parking lot

The crash between the police cruiser and Porsche occurred in the mall's parking lot, she said. The alleged break-in occurred in the mall's southwest corner.

Yashnyk said the officer suffered injuries believed to be minor.

She declined to say if the injuries sustained by all three people were due to the crash. They are all still at the hospital, she added. 

No charges have been laid yet.

Asked if the suspects allegedly entered the mall, she said: "It appears so."