Toronto police ID Julian Weekes, 27, as victim in fatal Queen and Parliament shooting

Toronto police have identified the victim of a fatal shooting Saturday morning in the Queen Street East and Parliament Street area as 27-year-old Julian Weekes.

Little is known about gunman, described as 'a coward carrying a gun'

Toronto police have identified the 27-year-old man who was fatally shot Saturday as Julian Weekes. (Toronto Police Service)

The 27-year-old man fatally shot Saturday left a bloody trail behind him as he frantically knocked on passing car doors along Queen Street East looking for help.

Toronto police identified the man as Julian Weekes on Sunday afternoon and asked anyone to whom the man might have appealed to come forward as a witness.

Det. Sgt. Michael Patterson told reporters at a news conference that anyone in those vehicles might have information that could help the investigation. He said there could also be evidence on the cars themselves.

Killed at friend's memorial

Weekes had been attending a memorial for his friend Ceyon Carrington, who was shot and killed on March 23 in Leslieville. 

An autopsy revealed Weekes died of multiple gunshot wounds in various parts of his body, according to details given at a police news conference Sunday afternoon. The number of times Weekes was shot has not yet been released.

The shots were fired outside Annie's Bar and Grill, where Weekes and a number of friends were holding a memorial for Carrington. Police say there is no information linking the two homicides at this time.

Friends of Carrington posted his photo on social media Thursday and said he was the victim of a fatal shooting in the Carlaw Avenue and Queen Street East area Wednesday night. (Mustafathepoet/Instagram)

On Sunday, Patterson detailed Weekes' desperate search for help following the shooting.

Weekes was seen by several witnesses running in a seemingly intoxicated state along Queen, then heading south on Parliament. He tried and failed to get help by banging on the doors of cars travelling along the street. None of the cars stopped, according to the police.

Officers were called to a Shell gas station at the intersection of Richmond and Parliament streets just after 2 a.m. where they found Weekes unconscious in the parking lot.

Attempts to revive him proved unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

"Officers began searching the area and found a trail of blood," Patterson told reporters Sunday afternoon.

The blood trail led north and then along Queen Street East, ending near the Magic Oven restaurant, where police found multiple shell casings.

Police were called to this gas station just after 2 a.m. Saturday by reports of gunshots. (CBC)

Little is known about the shooter, described by Patterson as "a coward carrying a gun." Police said only that he is an athletic-looking male, who was seen running from the scene toward Power Street.

Police are also appealing to those who attended the memorial to come forward. Weekes came from a "hardworking" family and had a girlfriend, Patterson said.

"Somebody has to step up and stop this," the police officer said.

On Saturday, police told CBC News that the victim was 22 years old. Today, they confirmed Weekes was 27.