Parents charged after toddler dies from ingesting illicit drugs, police say
14-month-old boy ingested toxic levels of fentanyl, heroin and cocaine
Toronto police say the parents of a 14-month-old boy have been charged after the toddler died from ingesting illicit drugs that were in their home.
Police say the boy lived in a Toronto-area apartment with his parents and another couple and that the drugs found in the house were for personal use.
The boy died as a result of toxic levels of fentanyl, heroin and cocaine, according to a police news release Monday.
Const. Alex Li, spokesperson for Toronto police, said the entire incident was heartbreaking.
"As an officer of 16 years, I can't fathom this at all and come to terms with it," Li said.
"It is one of those situations where you wish you could have done something more and you feel bad for the entire family," he added.
"If there is a child in need of protection, utilize the resources to get that child out of there and get the help that he or she needs."
After an investigation by the Child & Youth Advocacy Centre (CYAC) that began last May, the boy's parents were arrested and each charged with criminal negligence causing death and failure to provide necessaries of life in January of this year.
"Opioid use impacts individuals and families across the city. In many cases, like this one, the results are devastating. If you or anyone you know needs help with opioid use, please seek assistance," the release said.
This is believed to be the first investigation of its kind by CYAC since it opened in October 2013, according to police.