Toronto

OPP say Labour Day long weekend was deadliest in 20 years

Ontario Provincial Police said 12 people were killed on the roads during the Labour Day weekend and warned distracted driving could be a major part of the problem.

14 killed during last long weekend of summer, 800 distracted driving tickets handed out

A fatal crash in Toronto left one man dead over the Labour Day long weekend. OPP said 12 people died on roads it patrols. (Tony Smyth/CBC)

Ontario Provincial Police said 12 people were killed on the roads during the Labour Day weekend and warned distracted driving could be a major part of the problem.

Police said 12 people died on OPP-patrolled roads during the long weekend, while one person died on the water and another died while using an off-road vehicle.

"That is the deadliest weekend we've seen in 20 years," said Sgt. Kerry Schmidt in a video posted on Twitter.

In one crash in northwestern Ontario, the OPP said four people were killed when their vehicle crashed.

Two people died in two separate single-vehicle rollovers Monday just outside Windsor.

Meanwhile in Toronto, a 24-year-old man was charged with impaired driving following a crash that left a 28-year-old man dead.

The OPP, while warning drivers that it launching a blitz on distracted driving during the long weekend, still issued more than 800 distracted or inattentive driving charges.

"It's just far too many," Schmidt said.

Schmidt said the OPP is hoping that passengers and motorists will start condemning distracted driving whenever they see it.

"We need to have people understand that their own personal safety is at risk if the driver isn't paying attention to the roads," he said.

Before this weekend, the OPP had already laid some 8,000 distracted driving charges for the year.

Schmidt said the force will continue to enforce the rules even though the blitz has ended. 

now