Toronto

Ontario reports 2,362 new COVID-19 cases, administers 141,765 vaccine doses

Ontario reported an additional 2,362 cases of COVID-19 on Friday, and 26 new deaths of people with the virus.

Province finds 691 cases in Toronto, 563 in Peel, 223 in York Region

A worker at an Ontario mobile COVID-19 vaccination clinic draws a dose from a vial into a needle in early May 2021. (Francis Ferland/CBC)

Ontario reported an additional 2,362 cases of COVID-19 on Friday, and 26 new deaths of people with the virus.

That number comes with 44,040 tests completed, which is well below the province's capacity but still an improvement from earlier this week, when under 30,000 tests were analyzed on back-to-back days.

The province is reporting 691 new cases in Toronto, 563 in Peel, 223 in York Region, 148 in Durham and 112 in Hamilton. The province's test positivity rate is at 6.1 per cent.

The seven-day average, which helps smooth out peaks and valleys in the data, now stands at 2,616. That's the lowest that figure has been since April 3.

Ontario administered 141,765 doses of COVID-19 vaccine Thursday, which makes for a total of over 6.7 million doses in arms so far.

Of those, 415,531 people have gotten two doses and are fully vaccinated.

The province is aiming to have all willing adults fully immunized by Sept. 22 if supply allows. 

University of Toronto epidemiologist Ashleigh Tuite says the sooner the population can be fully vaccinated, the better.

She says the government should clarify its plan for second doses, given the confusing, "piecemeal" vaccination campaign thus far.

The province is also listing 3,502 cases as resolved Friday. The effective reproductive number, which is an estimate of the average number of people one person with COVID-19 will go on to infect, is listed at 0.89. That number has to stay below one for case counts to drop.

Hospitalization numbers dropped again Friday, down 50 to 1,582.

The number of people in intensive care rose by one to 777, but the number of people using a ventilator to breathe dropped by eight to 560.

Premier Doug Ford announced yesterday that Ontario would remain under its current stay-at-home order until "at least" June 2.

Ford said the province should be able to lift restrictions on outdoor recreation by that date, with more details on reopening plans to follow in the days and weeks after that.

"The situation is slowly trending in the right situation. Make no mistake, we're not out of the woods yet," Ford said on Thursday at his first press conference in more than a week, adding that his goal is for Ontario to have "the most normal July and August as possible."

Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams said this week that the province will need to be "well under" 1,000 cases a day "for a number of days" before it's safe to ease restrictions.

Officials did not answer when asked at a news conference yesterday if the province will return to its previous colour-coded framework for reopening.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Adam Carter

Reporter

Adam Carter is a Newfoundlander who now calls Toronto home. He enjoys a good story and playing loud music. You can follow him on Twitter @AdamCarterCBC or drop him an email at adam.carter@cbc.ca.

With files from The Canadian Press

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversationCreate account

Already have an account?

now