2 floors evacuated in Mississauga highrise fire
No one hurt, but residents of 11th, 12th floors had to leave units for 90 minutes
No one was injured in a fire on a balcony of a Mississauga highrise building early Wednesday but two floors were evacuated until smoke cleared.
Const. Paolo Caretta, spokesperson for Peel Regional Police, said police received a call about the small fire at 4100 Ponytrail Dr., near Burnhamthorpe Road East and Rathburn Road East, at about 12:45 a.m.
Caretta said a burning cigarette is believed to have sparked the fire on a balcony in a set of tires and a cover on top of the tires. The fire was contained to the balcony.
Residents of the 11th and 12th floors were forced to leave their units, however, until smoke cleared. They were allowed to return after 90 minutes.
Mississauga Transit provided three buses as shelter for the temporarily displaced residents.
Peel police said they have cleared the scene.
Small fire at 4100 Ponytrail. No injuries. Residents from 2upper level floors evacuated til smoke cleared—@PeelPoliceMedia