Michael Eligon shooting video played at police inquest

WARNING: This story contains disturbing details. A dramatic video capturing the final moments of Michael Eligon's life was played at an inquest in Toronto into three separate police shootings.

WARNING: This story contains disturbing details

The shooting of Michael Eligon

9 years ago
Duration 2:36
An inquest saw a video of the shooting of Michael Eligon.

A dramatic video capturing the final moments of 29-year-old Michael Eligon's life was played Wednesday at an inquest in Toronto into three separate police shootings.

The video, taken by a police cruiser's dashboard camera, shows Eligon moving toward police on Milverton Boulevard in the east end of the city on Feb. 3, 2012.

Eligon, who was carrying a pair of scissors and wearing a hospital gown when he was shot, had escaped from Toronto East General Hospital that morning where he was being treated for depression. 

Eligon's case is one of three police shootings the inquest is investigating.

Const. Scott Walker testified police were looking for Eligon after receiving reports he had stolen a pair of scissors and stabbed someone in the hand.

The video played at the inquest shows Eligon from behind as he walks on Milverton Boulevard toward a group of officers with their guns drawn.

Off camera, police can be heard yelling "drop it!"

Walker yells "back up, back up" to his colleagues. Walker testified that Eligon had a "blank stare" and seemed "out of touch with reality."

As Eligon approaches, one of the officers backs into a parked pickup truck. An officer beside him fires three shots and Eligon crumples to the ground.

At least eight officers on the scene are expected to testify as the inquest, which started last month, continues.

It is looking into the deaths of Eligon and two mentally ill people who were gunned down by Toronto police in separate but similar incidents. 

The other two cases involve:

  • Reyal Jardine-Douglas, 25, who was shot in August 2010 on a public transit bus.
  • Sylvia Klibingaitis, 52, who in 2011 called 911 herself — saying she was going to commit a crime — before she confronted officers with a knife in her hand.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?