Man pulled unconscious from apartment fire
Fire broke out in bathroom of apartment at Dufferin and Davenport
A man is in critical condition after firefighters pulled him unconscious from a smoke-filled apartment at Dufferin Street near Davenport Road early Thursday.
Crews were called after smoke was seen coming from a window of a third-floor apartment at 1490 Dufferin St. at about 2:15 a.m.
Firefighters found the man, who is in his 40s, unconscious and without vital signs near the front door of the apartment. He was revived and rushed to hospital.
He was suffering from smoke inhalation and had second-degree burns to his hands and face.
Firefighters were able to quickly put out the fire, which was contained to a single apartment. Fire officials said it appears the fire started in the bathroom.
Other residents of the building were back in their apartments by 6 a.m.
"The power is back on, you wouldn't know there was a fire here by looking at the exterior of the apartment," reported CBC's Trevor Dunn from the scene at 6:30 a.m.
The man lives alone and works as a landscaper. Many of his co-workers arrived at the apartment after 8 a.m. on Thursday looking for him.
They told CBC News the man had planned to work a few days this week, then head to the U.S. to celebrate Christmas with his family.