Man fatally shot in head in at east-end house party

Police say a man was shot and killed at a party in Toronto's east end early Saturday, but are not treating the incident as a homicide.

Girlfriend says 23-year-old victim had young daughter, lived at scene of shooting

Tanasha Brewster told reporters her boyfriend was the young man who was shot and killed early Saturday. She said the 23-year-old victim had a two-year daughter and lived in a room at the house. (CBC)

Police say a man in his early 20s was shot and killed at a party in Toronto's east end early Saturday, but they are not treating the incident as a homicide. 

Investigators have said little about the shooting which brought officers from 54 Division to 1320 Victoria Park Ave., just north of St. Clair Avenue East, at about 2:30 a.m. 

"There are some nuances that are a little strange in this case," Const. David Hopkinson told CBC News on Saturday afternoon.

"So far we are just investigating [it as] a shooting." 

They just told me he got shot and died.- Tanasha Brewster, victim's girlfriend

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics, who said he suffered a single gunshot wound to the head. 

Police said efforts were made to revive the victim, but were not successful. 

The victim's girlfriend told reporters she heard about the shooting on Facebook and came to the scene Saturday morning.

Tanasha Brewster said the victim had a two-year old daughter, lived in a room at the house and had turned 23 just a few days ago. 

She said police have revealed little about what happened. 

"They just told me he got shot and died," Brewster told reporters. "Nobody knows anything." 

"He was a really sweet guy," she said. "He loved his daughter and he loved me." 

Hopkinson could not say if the victim was known to police, and would not say if the gun was recovered or if it was legally owned. 

Police talk to witnesses after Saturday morning's fatal shooting. Neighbours told reporters the house on Victoria Park Avenue is known for loud noise and parties. (CBC)

Neighbours told CBC News that calls have been made regarding incidents at the house in the past. 

The house is known for "noise and wild parties," according to neighbour Christopher Lambert. 

"I've called the cops on it a couple of times," he said. "There's always something going on there. It always looks like a party." 

Officers remained on the scene throughout the day, going through the house and talking to witnesses. A TTC bus was brought in to keep people warm while they were interviewed Saturday morning. 

Police told CBC News they are waiting on autopsy results which could be delayed because of the holiday weekend.

Distraught party-goers were interviewed by police throughout the day, following Saturday morning's fatal shooting. (CBC)