Suspect 'blitzed' shooting victim Venojan Suthesan in what police call a 'very targeted' attack

The Toronto Police Service's homicide squad is investigating after finding a university student shot to death near a high school.

21-year-old found dead near Lester B. Pearson Collegiate high school on Sunday night

Venojan Suthesan, a student at the Schulich School of Business, was killed late Sunday night in a Scarborough shooting. (Facebook)

The fatal shooting of 21-year-old Venojan Suthesan in Scarborough on Sunday was a quick interaction that was "very targeted," Toronto police say.

"[Suthesan] was blitzed by a suspect who was waiting for him, we believe," homicide Det. Andy Singh said in a news conference on Monday afternoon.

"The suspect shot several rounds, struck several times [and the victim] collapsed on the scene."

Suthesan was found suffering from a gunshot wound to the head just before midnight on Sunday on the property of Lester B. Pearson Collegiate Institute, a high school in Scarborough. 

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Through surveillance video provided by the Toronto District School Board, police were able to give details about a suspect, who they say ran southbound from the school armed with a handgun.

Singh described the suspect as a dark-skinned male, approximately 5 feet 10 inches, wearing a light or white hooded sweatshirt and khaki pants. 

Another notable detail was a dark coloured car that sat in the school's parking lot 40 minutes prior to the attack. Singh also said the car was seen circling the area. However, the car was not seen at the school at the time of the shooting.

Although police believe Suthesan was targeted, Singh explained that they are always open to the suggestion it was mistaken identity.

"Based on who he is and people seem to know who he is, he's a bright young man who did good things," Singh said of the victim. 

"He was a young man who was doing everything right."

Toronto police officers stand near the cordoned off area where Suthesan was found dead late Sunday night. (Tony Smyth/CBC)

As the police's forensics team worked at the school property on Monday, a man who identified himself as Suthesan's uncle arrived to express his shock and confusion. 

"He never got into trouble," the man told reporters at the scene, suggesting his nephew may have been the victim of a robbery. 

Suthesan, who also went by Veno, was a student at York University's Schulich School of Business, where he was vice-president of corporate relations for the Undergraduate Business Society, and a Schulich ambassador.

Rhonda Lenton, the president and vice-chancellor for York, said in an emailed statement to CBC Toronto, that Suthesan "was regarded as an incredibly bright, energetic, kind and compassionate individual, who was always there to help out his fellow students." 

"On behalf of the entire York community, I extend my heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and colleagues. The York University flag will be lowered to half-mast in his honour, and our team is reaching out to the community members who are most directly affected," the statement reads.

High school to re-open Tuesday

Lester B. Pearson, located near the intersection of Tapscott Road and Washburn Way, was closed Monday amid the investigation, but will re-open on Tuesday.

Suthesan was the vice president of corporate relations for the Undergraduate Business Society at Schulich. (Submitted)

Singh  said that Suthesan lived in the area. 

Officers are now in the process of canvassing neighbours for any possible security video footage and looking for witnesses.