Landlord pleads guilty to fire code offences for fatal blaze near Jane and Finch
Child and parents found unconscious in stairwell in April 2015, mother died from injuries
The owner of a highrise apartment building near Jane and Finch has pleaded guilty to several fire code offences and has been fined $71,000 after a woman died in a blaze at the building in April 2015.
Toronto Fire was called to 2850 Jane St., south of Finch Avenue in the city's northwest, around 11:30 p.m. on April 19, 2015. Upon arrival, firefighters found a young boy and his parents unconscious in a stairwell.
Of the total fine, $50,000 was directly related to the stairwell. Toronto Fire Services and the Ontario Fire Marshal's office found that the door of the stairwell didn't close or latch properly. As a result, smoke from the fire made its way into the stairwell where the family was found.
Some of the other code violations include not having exit signs illuminated and not testing for emergency lighting.
Besides the family, four others were also taken to hospital with smoke inhalation, according to Toronto paramedics.
The fire was started by a candle left unattended in the bedroom of an apartment on the second floor.