Jian Ghomeshi case: Defence combing through 1,000 discovery documents
Case of ex-CBC host, charged sexual assault and overcoming resistance by choking, to reconvene Feb. 26
Jian Ghomeshi's legal team today was granted more time to go through disclosure documents before a date is set for a preliminary hearing in the sexual assault case of the former CBC radio host.
Danielle Robitaille, one of the lawyers representing Ghomeshi alongside high-profile lawyer Marie Henein, told a Toronto court Wednesday that her legal team has received more than 1,000 pages of discoveries. She says she is expecting more from investigators in the coming days.
The case will reconvene at 10 a.m. ET on Feb. 26, when it is expected that a preliminary hearing date will be set.
Neither Ghomeshi nor Henein was in court Wednesday morning.
The former host of the CBC culture and arts show Q was last in court on Jan. 8, when new charges of sexual assault were introduced from three female complainants who had not previously come forward.
- Ex-CBC employee among complainants in new sex assault charges against Ghomeshi
- The fifth estate: The Unmaking of Jian Ghomeshi
- Meet Marie Henein, the 'fearless and brilliant' lawyer defending Jian Ghomeshi
Ghomeshi has been charged with a total of seven counts of sexual assault and one count of overcoming resistance by choking.
Henein has said he will plead not guilty to all charges.
Ghomeshi is not in custody. His bail conditions require him to remain in Ontario and live in his mother's house.
CBC fired Ghomeshi in October after executives saw what they described as graphic evidence that he had physically injured a woman.
Ghomeshi has denied taking part in any violent, non-consensual sexual acts.