Police warn of 'treacherous' driving conditions after multiple morning crashes
Many of the crashes involve multiple vehicles as drivers contend with icy roadways, bridge decks
Toronto police have issued a public safety alert warning drivers about "treacherous" conditions this morning after more than a dozen crashes were reported on icy roads.
Police issued the following alert on Twitter just before 7:30 a.m., warning drivers that cold air is causing ice to form on roads and bridge decks:
PUBLIC SAFETY ALERT: -Wet roads and cold air have caused some roads and bridges to form ice -Numerous collisions -Drive with caution ^dh—@TPSOperations
Toronto Police reported the following collisions — all of which happened before 7:30 a.m. — this morning:
- A pedestrian was struck and killed by a vehicle at McCowan Road and Kenhatch Boulevard in Scarborough. Our story about that deadly incident is here.
- Eight vehicles were involved in a crash on an icy bridge at Morningside and Ellesmere Avenues. Injuries are minor but police say drivers should consider alternate routes.
- Seven vehicles were involved in a crash at Kingston Road and Beechgrove Drive in the east end. Police report icy roads in this spot, with traffic backed up and the Port Union ramp closed. One person was taken to hospital with unknown injuries.
- At Victoria Park and Belmore Avenue, north of Lawrence, three cars were involved in a crash bad enough to flip one vehicle over. There are no details on injuries but police are telling drivers to avoid the area.
- A car crashed into a utility pole at Kingston Road and Manse Road. Hydro wires were brought down across the vehicle and roadway. Emergency crews responded and police say drivers should expect delays in this area.
More details of other morning crashes are in these police tweets:
COLLISION: St Clair Av + Avoca Av -2 cars spun out -Hit guard rail -Unknown injuries -Bridge has iced over -Bridge closed both ways ^dh—@TPSOperations
COLLISION: DVP + Bloor Viaduct -Head on collision -Middle of bridge -1 person injured -w/b Bloor closed at Broadview Av ^dh—@TPSOperations
COLLISION: DVP + Lawrence Av -s/b north of Lawrence -Ambulance crew with patient on board involved -Police/Amb en route -May be delays ^dh—@TPSOperations
Our traffic blog is embedded below, with the latest collision information: