Jian Ghomeshi trial: Judge allows Crown to include 4th witness's evidence
Prosecution 'reassessed' position after 3rd complainant testified, decided not to close case
Judge William Horkins said today he will allow the Crown to include a statement from a fourth witness in the Jian Ghomeshi case in Toronto, after the prosecution argued it could corroborate Lucy DeCoutere's testimony last week in the trial of the former CBC Radio host.
Crown attorney Michael Callaghan had planned to call a friend of DeCoutere — one of three complainants who have already testified — to the witness box in the Ontario Court of Justice. But because the friend lives in Nova Scotia, the prosecution will put her police statement and some correspondence before Horkins instead.
Callaghan said DeCoutere told the other witness about the alleged sexual assault more than 10 years ago. He said that could help dispel the defence's narrative that the complainant had made up the allegations to become more famous.
The defence team said it expects to wrap up its case Wednesday if the Crown closes its own, indicating it's unlikely Ghomeshi will testify.
The 48-year-old is charged with four counts of sexual assault and one count of overcoming resistance by choking, all related to incidents from 2002 to 2003. He has pleaded not guilty to all the charges. While DeCoutere is allowing her name to be used, the other two complainants' names are protected under a publication ban.
Both the prosecution and defence say they expect to deliver their closing arguments by Thursday at the latest.