James Forcillo in Toronto-area jail after bail revoked
Suspended Toronto police officer was arrested in mid-November for allegedly breaching bail conditions
Bail has been revoked for Const. James Forcillo, the suspended Toronto police officer convicted of attempted murder in the 2013 shooting death of Sammy Yatim.
Last year, Forcillo was sentenced to six years in prison for shooting 18-year-old Yatim on a streetcar in July 2013. Forcillo is appealing the conviction, with the matter expected to be heard sometime in 2018.
Forcillo was arrested in mid-November by Toronto police for allegedly breaching the bail conditions related to his house arrest and has been held in custody since that time.
Earlier this week, the Ontario Court of Appeal granted a request to revoke his bail, to which Forcillo consented.
After his court appearance, Forcillo's lawyer said that part of the reason his client agreed to have his bail revoked was that his sureties — his ex-wife and her parents — were no longer willing to act in that capacity.
Forcillo will remain in custody at a Toronto-area jail while his bail-breach charge of failing to comply with recognizance is before the courts. Once the matter is dealt with, Forcillo will most likely be transferred to prison to begin serving his six-year sentence, his lawyer Michael Lacy said.
The officer's appeal is ongoing, Lacy said, with issues concerning "fresh evidence" that could result in a court date next year.
He is scheduled to be back in court on Dec. 15 to finalize the issue of his bail conditions.
With files from The Canadian Press