Toronto

No batteries in smoke alarm in Scarborough apartment where fire left man dead, Toronto Fire says

A fire that left a man dead in a low-rise Scarborough apartment building early Saturday was caused by unattended cooking, Toronto Fire Services says.

Fire caused by unattended cooking, investigation finds

A man was pronounced dead at the scene of a fire early Saturday in Scarborough. (Mehrdad Nazarahari/CBC)

A fire that left a man dead in a low-rise Scarborough apartment building early Saturday was caused by unattended cooking, Toronto Fire Services says.

The Ontario Fire Marshal's office determined the cause during its investigation, in which it also found that there were no batteries in the smoke alarm in the ground-floor unit where the flames broke out before 5:15 a.m.

Toronto Fire is still determining whether charges are possible under the Ontario Fire Code. 

A man, believed to be in his 40s, was pronounced dead at the scene at 2231 Eglinton Avenue East near Birchmount Road.

Stephan Powell, district chief of Toronto Fire Services, said firefighters removed the man from the unit and performed CPR on him outside. 

There was smoke in the hallway when firefighters arrived, he said, but the fire was contained in the unit.

Two Toronto police officers were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene, Const. Craig Brister said.

The officers from 41 Division, which is across the street, arrived at the same time as firefighters and entered the apartment to try to help the man. They continued their shift after they were treated.

now