Dog strangled by leash stuck in elevator door in Toronto

A dog was found strangled to death after its leash was caught in the door of an apartment elevator overnight Thursday.

Toronto Fire says dog's leash became caught between elevator doors

(Tony Smyth/CBC News)

A dog was found strangled to death after its leash was caught in the door of an apartment elevator overnight Thursday.

Fire crews found the dog when responding to an emergency alarm after 4 a.m. by a man who was trapped between floors at a Toronto Community Housing building at 2743 Victoria Park Avenue near Sheppard Avenue East.

He reported there was no air inside the elevator, Toronto Fire Services said.

Toronto Fire said the dog's leash became stuck between the doors and choked the dog when the elevator rose.

The dog's owner, a woman who was not in the elevator at the time, was transported to hospital when she arrived on scene and learned what had happened.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?