Police identify man shot in the head in Greektown

A 27-year-old Toronto man has been charged after Danny Morales was fatally shot Wednesday.

A man is in custody for 2nd-degree murder in relation to the shooting

Danny Morales, 35, was shot to death after an altercation in a Greektown bar, police say. (Toronto Police Service)

Police say the man fatally shot in Greektown overnight Tuesday is 35-year-old Danny Morales. 

A 27-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder in the shooting.

Officers were called to the scene on Danforth Avenue, between Logan and Jones avenues, for a report of gunfire. A spokesperson for Toronto paramedics said the shooting occurred shortly after 2:20 a.m.

Morales — who police say was shot in the head — was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Police said the shooting took place after an altercation at a bar in the area.

Witnesses told police they heard multiple gunshots and saw several people running away.

Shortly after the shooting, police initiated a foot pursuit and one man was taken into custody. Canine teams then began searching for a second possible suspect. 
Toronto police are investigating near two Danforth Avenue sports bars Wednesday following a fatal shooting. (Tina MacKenzie/CBC)

One month after mass shooting

Today's shooting took place exactly one month after a gunman killed two people and injured more than a dozen others by firing indiscriminately into local restaurants and bars on Danforth Avenue.

Area residents expressed shock and dismay Wednesday after the news of the latest shooting.

"The fact that a homicide happened within a month on relatively the same stretch of the Danforth is very disturbing," Carol Gold told CBC Toronto.

"I think the community will feel it very keenly."

Willow Johnson grew up in the area and was prevented from meeting colleagues on Pape Avenue by road closures due to the police investigation.

"No one's really fully recovered from what happened last month," said Johnson. "I don't think this helps the healing process for the families who are afflicted."

Danforth Avenue has since been re-opened to traffic, police said.