Toronto

Ontario records another 99 new COVID-19 cases, death toll steady

Ontario reported an additional 99 cases of COVID-19 on Monday, while 21 of the province's 34 public health units confirmed no new infections of the novel coronavirus at all.

Official COVID-19 death toll stayed steady for 3rd straight day

Premier Doug Ford is considering making air conditioning mandatory in long-term care homes. (Frank Gunn/The Canadian Press)

Ontario reported an additional 99 cases of COVID-19 on Monday, while 21 of the province's 34 public health units confirmed no new infections of the novel coronavirus at all.

The new cases are concentrated mostly in Toronto, Peel and Ottawa, with 26, 25 and 19, respectively. Waterloo saw another eight cases.

Ontario has now confirmed a total 40,745 instances of the illness since the outbreak began in late January. Of those, just below 91 per cent are considered resolved.

There are currently about 920 active cases of COVID-19 provincewide, mainly in various regions of southern Ontario. 

Testing levels remain relatively high, with some 25,567 test samples processed since the last update. Another 15,076 were added to the queue to be completed.

The province's official COVID-19 death toll stayed steady for a third straight day and currently sits at 2,789. A CBC News count based on data from public health units, which helps avoid lag times in the provincial reporting system, puts the real toll at 2,827.

All of the figures used in this story are found in the Ministry of Health's daily update, which includes data from up until 4 p.m. the previous day. The number of cases for any particular region on a given day may differ from what is reported by the local public health unit, which often avoid lag times in the provincial system.

Ontario rejects TDSB plan to shrink class sizes

The provincial government says it has rejected a Toronto school board's plan to cut class sizes because it limits the amount of time students will spend in the classroom.

Education Minister Stephen Lecce says the government wants to "maximize" classroom time for children while still creating safe conditions during the pandemic.

On Friday, the province rejected a Toronto District School Board proposal that would have reduced elementary school class sizes to between 15 and 20 students.

It required hiring new staff and shortening the school day by 48 minutes, pushing teacher prep time to the end of the day.

Lecce says the government wants to maintain a full 300-minute school day.

The board will meet Tuesday to discuss next steps.

Ford speaks at AMO conference on Monday

Earlier today, Ford spoke at this year's Association of Municipalities Ontario conference.

The event is being held entirely online due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and features discussions and workshops about how municipalities can begin to recover from the outbreak's economic ravages.

Also today, 10 cabinet ministers will participate in a forum on "supporting community well-being."

They include Health Minister Christine Elliott and Education Minister Stephen Lecce.

The AMO has at times clashed with the provincial government during the COVID-19 pandemic, saying last month that emergency funds haven't flowed to municipalities quickly enough.

They pointed the finger at "federal-provincial wrangling about how to share the costs."

With files from Lucas Powers, Ania Bessonov and The Canadian Press

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

now