Charge laid in Toronto street-party shooting
A Toronto man has been charged in connection with an investigation into a deadly street-party shooting, though police say his charge does not relate to the victims who died.
Police sent out a news release on Thursday evening advising that 19-year-old Nahom Tsegazab of Toronto had been charged with the reckless discharge of a firearm.
Const. Wendy Drummond told CBC News that Tsegazab’s charge is linked to people who were injured, but not killed, in the Danzig Street shooting on Monday night.
"These charges are actually in regards to the shooting and the victims that we have in relation to gunshot wounds. It’s not in relation to the homicides themselves," Drummond said.
The investigation into the shooting continues, and police are still seeking at least one other suspect.
Tsegazab, who was injured in the Monday night shooting that occurred on Danzig Street, was under police guard while in hospital.
The shooting occurred just after 10:40 p.m. on Monday, in the midst of an outdoor street party that police say was attended by at least 100 people.
A 14-year-old Toronto teenager and a 23-year-old man from Ajax, Ont., died in the shooting.
Four people have been shot dead on Toronto streets since the start of the week, including the two victims in the Danzig Street shooting.
With a report from the CBC's Genevieve Tomney