Toronto

Family rushed to hospital after carbon monoxide detected in Etobicoke home

Police say a family of three, including a two-year-old child, are lucky to be alive after carbon monoxide was detected in their Etobicoke home early Wednesday.

Carbon monoxide detector had been unplugged, police say

Two adults and a two-year-old child were rushed to hospital after carbon monoxide was detected inside an Etobicoke house last night. (Tony Smyth/CBC)

Police say a family of three, including a two-year-old child, are lucky to be alive after carbon monoxide was detected in their Etobicoke home early Wednesday.

Paramedics were called to a house on West Wareside Road — located near Rathburn Road west of Highway 427 — at about 2 a.m. after family members reported feeling sick.

The mother and the family's two-year-old child were unconscious when emergency crews arrived, but regained consciousness when they were taken outside. All three are expected to recover.

The furnace was leaking and carbon monoxide levels were close to 900 parts per million, well above the normal level of around 25 parts per million.

  Police say the carbon monoxide detector in the home had been turned off because the family thought it was defective, and because the furnace was leaking, levels of the gas rose to dangerous levels.

now