Ban Drake's OVO Fest after-party from Exhibition Place, councillor says
Party was scene of deadly shootings last week
Two city councillors want to ban Drake's OVO Fest after-party from Exhibition Place following last week's deadly shootings.
Coun. Jim Karygiannis is behind the motion, which was seconded by Coun. Giorgio Mammoliti, that asks the Exhibition Place management to study banning the OVO Fest after-party, held at Muzik nightclub, "and similar type events" in the future.
"The OVO Fest has been surrounded by violence for the last two years and should no longer be held on the Exhibition Place grounds," Karygiannis said on his website.
Moments later, as people fled, a second shooting near the Dufferin Gates killed Ariela Navarro-Fenoy.
On Tuesday, Navarro-Fenoy's family held an emotional candlelight vigil where they continued to demand answers from police about what went wrong that night.
Police have released some information about two suspects, but urged witnesses on Tuesday to come forward and help their investigation.
Karygiannis' motion also calls for Exhibition Place management to examine "other permitted uses" for Muzik nightclub space to see if they can use it for "other types of events which are more business and family oriented in nature."
Toronto police have already announced they're suspending paid duty police work at the nightclub to make sure officers remain safe.