Bail granted to U.S. man accused of mischief at G20

A Toronto court has granted bail to one of two young American men who face charges stemming from the G20 summit three years ago.

Men from Pennsylvania and New York City face charges in connection with 2010 Toronto summit

Bail for G20

CBC News: Toronto at 6:00

8 years ago
Suspect facing G20 charges gets bail. 2:08

A Toronto court has granted bail to one of two young American men who face charges stemming from the G20 summit three years ago.

Richard Dean Morano, 22, of Lackawaxen, Pa., is charged with 14 counts including mischief endangering life, assaulting a police officer with a weapon and six counts of mischief over $5,000.

Morano was granted bail on Wednesday morning, but is due to reappear in court later this month.

The court allowed Morano to return home to Pennsylvania with his parents. He is required to tell police of his whereabouts and refrain from joining any demonstrations.

A second U.S. man, Kevin Chianella, 20, from New York City, faces 52 charges including arson, assault, 11 counts of mischief endangering life and 22 counts of mischief over $5,000.

His bail hearing was held over until Thursday.

Accused alleged to have damaged businesses

Police allege Chianella smashed the windows of a police car with an officer inside, an unmarked police van, multiple Starbucks windows, a CIBC ATM, as well as windows at Urban Outfitters, Burger King, Popeye's Chicken, American Apparel, Footlocker and Tim Hortons.

Police allege Morano smashed a police car window with a rock while an officer was inside and used a piece of lumber to break the window of a clothing store. Morano is also accused of smashing windows at two coffee shops, a branch of the CIBC and a leather store.

Toronto police say the co-operation of U.S. authorities was key in bringing these individuals to the courts.

"What is significant and very important for us is that the Marshals and the FBI were extremely co-operative and extremely effective," said Mark Pugash, director of communications for the Toronto Police Service. 

"And as a result of that, we had one person appearing before the courts last week from the States and we have two more appearing today." 

Dozens of protesters went on a destructive rampage during the summit.

More than 1,100 people were arrested in one of the largest mass arrests in Canadian history, although most were released without charges.

However, more than 40 people have been successfully prosecuted for their parts in the rampage.

With files from The Canadian Press