Bail extended for Const. James Forcillo, convicted in streetcar shooting death of Sammy Yatim
Forcillo was set to surrender himself today after being released on bail in late July
Toronto police Const. James Forcillo has had his bail extended, according to his lawyer. He was expected to surrender today.
Forcillo has been out on bail while pursuing an appeal of his conviction for the attempted murder of Sammy Yatim, the 18-year-old shot dead aboard a streetcar in July 2013.
He was released under several conditions on July 29, 2016, two days after being sentenced to six years in prison for the crime.
- Const. James Forcillo, convicted in streetcar shooting death of Sammy Yatim, released on bail
- Appeal of Forcillo conviction in Yatim death may hinge on pause in shooting: experts
A Nov. 9 surrender date was listed as a condition of his bail, but lawyer Peter Brauti told CBC News in an e-mail on Wednesday that his client's bail had been extended, with no new date set for Forcillo to return to custody.
The appeal judge, Justice Eileen Gilese, said at the time of her decision that the surrender date could be modified if the appeal wasn't ready to be heard.
She also said that Forcillo posed no risk to the public "as there is no risk that he would commit further offences."
When the appeal is ready to move forward, Forcillo will return to custody the day before the court hearing and will remain incarcerated for the duration, Brauti said in July.