Arson suspected in Grandravine Drive fire
An object, possibly a Molotov cocktail, was thrown through ground-floor window
A fire that broke out in a home on Grandravine Drive early Tuesday is being investigated as arson after it appears something, possibly a Molotov cocktail, was thrown through a ground-floor window.
The fire broke out at around 4 a.m. inside a two-storey detached home at 10 Grandravine Dr., near Keele Street.
A couple who lives in the building heard a loud bang and came downstairs to find smoke in the ground-floor kitchen, where firefighters contained the fire.
The couple were treated for minor smoke inhalation. They are expected to be OK as are two cats and a dog rescued from the building.
'This is someone's home. How can you do that?'
Property manager Mavis Justino was at the scene of the fire Tuesday to examine the damage. She told CBC News she knows the residents well.
"It's ridiculous, this is someone's home. How can you do that? They sleep right above there."
Justino said residents of the townhouse were treated in hospital with smoke inhalation.
"They're OK, just shaken up as anybody would be," she said.
As to a possible motive behind the alleged arson, Justino told CBC News there's been a dispute between tenants and the condo board of the complex. A male resident who lives at the home that burned Tuesday is on the condo board.