Triple shooting on Highway 400 leaves man in life-threatening condition, 2 others hurt

A triple shooting along Highway 400 has left one man in life-threatening condition and two other men seriously wounded, Toronto police say.

Toronto police say shots were fired from moving vehicle, victims then drove to nearby gas station

The three men exited Highway 400 and stopped at this Shell gas station in the Finch Avenue and Jayzel Drive area after the shooting. (Michael Rich/CBC)

A triple shooting along Highway 400 has left one man in life-threatening condition and two other men seriously wounded, Toronto police say.

Police say they received several calls about gunfire just before 7 p.m. One of the shooting victims also called police.

Duty Insp. Stacey Davis, of the Toronto Police Service, said the shots were fired from a moving vehicle on the southbound lanes of the highway between Steeles Avenue and Finch Avenue West.

"It did take place on the 400. The suspects were in a vehicle shooting at our victims," she told reporters on Saturday night.

The victims were able to exit the highway and stop at gas station in the area of Finch Avenue and Jayzel Drive, where one of them went inside and placed a 911 call, she said.

Officers located all three victims at the gas station and all three were suffering from gunshot wounds. One is his 30s, while the other two are in their 20s, according to Davis.

Both of the seriously injured men suffered one gunshot wound each. One was shot in lower back while the other was shot in the leg. Both are expected to survive.

Davis said police do not know whether the shooting was targeted. 

"We don't any information to suggest that at this point," she said.

A person who administered first aid to the injured men has spoken to police, she added. 

Police are continuing to search for other witnesses.

Anyone who may have been traveling along the southbound lanes of Highway 400 before 7 p.m., or who may have dashboard camera footage, is urged to call police at 416-808-2222. Anonymous tips can be left with Crime Stoppers by calling 1-800-222-TIPS.

The southbound lanes of the highway, which were closed from Steeles Avenue to Finch Avenue for the investigation, have since been reopened.

Ontario Provincial Police said the east and westbound ramps from Highway 407 onto Highway 400, which were closed, have also been reopened.

No information about the suspect or the suspect vehicle has been released.