OPP conducting seatbelt safety blitz
OPP say every life is "worth the 5 seconds it takes to buckle up"
The OPP is reminding Ontario drivers to buckle up.
The provincial police force will be conducting a province-wide, 10-day fall seatbelt enforcement and education blitz beginning Sept. 28.
"Every year, our officers tend to crash victims of all ages who are not buckled in at the time of the collision," OPP Deputy Commissioner Brad Blair said in a statement.
"More often than not, they die as a result of being ejected, partially ejected or from the physical trauma they sustained inside the vehicle," he said. "Fortunately, our officers have also witnessed numerous victims survive their ordeal as a result of being restrained in their seat. Every life is worth the five seconds it takes to buckle up."
Over the last five years, 347 unbuckled vehicle occupants have died in Ontario in motor vehicle collisions, OPP said.
So far in 2016, 40 people who weren't wearing seatbelts have lost their lives in collisions on Ontario roadways.