Thunder Bay·Video

Ontario trucker in near-crash video gets $2.5K fine

Provincial police say they have charged Akmal Hayat of Milton, Ont., with careless driving following a near-crash between two tractor-trailers on Highway 11 in northern Ontario last month.

Milton resident Akmal Hayat pleads guilty to careless driving in Nipigon, Ont. incident captured on video

Video of a harrowing northern Ontario highway driving incident was posted to You Tube earlier this year. It has received more than 2.5 million views since then. (You Tube)

A Milton, Ont. truck driver has been fined $2,500 after a near-crash with another transport truck that gained national attention this winter.

Akmal Hayat, 31, pleaded guilty to careless driving earlier this week.

The January incident was captured by the other driver's dashboard camera and quickly spread through social media. The video has received more than 2.5 million views since then.

The video showed Hayat's truck attempting to pass a snowplow on a snow-covered Highway 11, almost colliding head-on with the other vehicle.

Two other highway traffic act charges against Hayat — failure to remain, and failure to report an accident — were withdrawn.

Provincial police tracked down Hayat after the video incident was widely distributed on social media.

The video was recorded by a dashboard camera in the northbound truck. It showed the northbound driver being forced to steer his vehicle into guardrails alongside Highway 11 to avoid a head-on collision with the oncoming tractor-trailer that was in the process of passing a snowplow. The driver of the oncoming transport truck continued south on Highway 11.

After examining and enhancing the video, OPP said they were able to identify the vehicle involved in the incident.

"I'm glad they have been able to identify the driver. Again, I did not do this to throw the driver under the bus, but I just wanted him identified for my insurance company," said Art Ginter, the driver whose dashboard camera captured the event, in a previous interview with CBC News.

In an earlier news release, Nipigon OPP detachment commander Staff Sgt. Randy Bye said, "it was obvious from the video ... that this incident could have easily resulted in much more tragic circumstances."

Bye said the investigation was a lengthy one, and involved 40 to 50 hours of work by members of three different platoons. He told CBC News that officers put in "a lot of legwork digging through company files and information ... there was a lot of time and effort."


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversationCreate account

Already have an account?