Unattended heat gun leads to building fire
North Bay building owner was trying to thaw frozen pipes
Fire crews in North Bay say a fire on Regina Street is now out and everyone is accounted for — but the building is a complete write-off.
The chief fire prevention officer in North Bay sad the owner of the building was attempting to thaw frozen pipes using a heat gun and left the machine unattended.
"You have to be aware of the amount of heat that it will generate," Randy Vezina said.
"This particular gun will generate 840 degrees F. And it's like any heat source: you cannot leave it unattended. You have to stay with it and certainly read the manufacturer’s instructions."
Vezina said fire crews estimate the damage to the building — which had two units inside — to be around $250,000.