Sudbury

Dripping grease may be culprit in New Sudbury fire

Fire officials in Sudbury now believe an exploding barbecue was to blame for the fire that claimed four homes and displaced 11 people in New Sudbury on Tuesday.

Grease may have dripped onto barbecue tank, caught fire and caused tank to explode

Fundraisers are being planned for those affected by the fire on Benita Boulevard in New Sudbury. (Yvon Theriault/Radio-Canada)

Fire officials in Sudbury now believe an exploding barbecue was to blame for the fire that claimed four homes and displaced 11 people in New Sudbury on Tuesday.

A spokesperson with the fire department said the investigation is still ongoing, but believes grease dripped onto the fuel tank, causing the explosion.

Fire officials suspect dripping grease that caught fire caused a barbecue tank to explode, putting four New Sudbury homes into flames on Tuesday. The homes were located in two duplexes. (Yvon Theriault/Radio-Canada)

Two duplexes were destroyed and two other buildings were damaged on Benita Boulevard.

Stephane Talbot lost his home and doesn’t know where he will live next.

"[I’ve been] just kind of running around and getting what I need now," he said. "My IDs and everything … I had the clothes on my back and that was it."

Assisting those displaced

Talbot works at a Travelodge hotel in Sudbury, where he has been given a room, as well as for his family, until they find somewhere else to live.

"As the hours go by you start thinking about things [that were] in the house," Talbot said.

"I don't really think it ... sunk in for me yet."

Fundraisers are being planned for those affected by the fire.

The Red Cross is also caring for nine people.

"We're helping with various services including food, clothing and shelter as well as personal needs, which means medication or glasses or those types of items lost," said David St. George, a Red Cross community services co-ordinator.