Sudbury

David Popescu facing charges for sharing offensive material in Sudbury

Police have charged 67-year-old David Popescu of Sudbury with advocating or promoting genocide and wilful promotion of hatred.

67-year-old charged with promoting genocide and wilful promotion of hatred after complaints filed

The Crown dropped the hate crime charges against David Popescu on Dec. 9. (YouTube)

Police have charged 67-year-old David Popescu of Sudbury with advocating or promoting genocide and wilful promotion of hatred.

People complained about receiving offensive material in various locations across the city earlier this year, according to Greater Sudbury police.

The material took the form of homemade compact discs and pamphlets, said Inspector John Somerset. They were left on the windshields of some cars.

Police began their investigation in February after receiving about a half dozen complaints, he said. 

Due to the nature of the charges, said Somerset, police had to wait for the approval of the Attorney General before laying them.

Popescu was arrested Wednesday and is to appear in court today for a bail hearing.

It's not the first time David Popescu has faced charges for his positions. He was convicted of promoting hatred after comments he made at a provincial candidates' debate in 2008 for suggesting homosexual people should be killed.

He has defended his opinions by saying they were based on the Bible. A judge disagreed and sentenced Popescu to probation and a suspended sentence.

He was also convicted of assault against his mother in 2003.

now