Sudbury

Inquest looking into Ontario's 911 wraps up in Sudbury

A panel of call centre managers told an inquest there needs to be more communication between police, fire and EMS services when there is an emergency call.

Final day of testimony in Sudbury before inquest moves to Ottawa

Josee Lafleur, a Sudbury manager at the Central Ambulance Communications Centre, is joined by Jesse O'Shell, assistant deputy chief of fire and John Valtonen, police inspector and manager of police and fire dispatch in Sudbury, at an inquest on Friday. (Supplied/mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca)

A panel of call centre managers told an inquest there needs to be more communication between police, fire and EMS services when there is an emergency call.

The joint coroner's inquest is underway and is looking into the circumstances surrounding two fatal events — a 2013 boating tragedy in Sudbury and the death of a woman in Casselman in 2014.

Five years ago, a boat crashed into a small island on Lake Wanapitei in Greater Sudbury. Matthew Humeniuk, 33, and Michael Kritz, 34, both died at the scene. Stephanie Bertrand, 25, died a week later.

Earlier in the week, the only survivor, Rob Dorzek, testified. He expressed his frustration with the 911 system as his calls kept getting disconnected.

Dorzek says he was also told to start a signal fire so emergency crews could find him. That fire spread to the boat where Humeniuk and Kritz lay injured.

On Thursday, forensic pathologist Dr. David Chiasson testified that fire was the cause of death for Kritz. He said Humeniuk and Bertrand died of head injuries.

On Friday, a panel of call centre managers spoke at that inquest. That panel included John Valtonen, a Sudbury Police inspector and manager of police and fire dispatch, Jesse O'Shell, the deputy chief of fire and Josee Lafleur, the manager of Central Ambulance Communication Centres.

All three admitted communication between the three agencies could have been better the night of the boat crash and all three services have made changes since then.

The joint inquest moves to Ottawa next week to focus on the 2014 death of a woman from Casselman.

The jury will make recommendations at a later date.

With files from Angela Gemmill

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.