Several first-time mayors elected in Ontario
Ontario's mayoral raceswere decided Monday night, with the resultsa mix of upsets, tight races and easy incumbent victories.
In Toronto, David Miller easily won re-election, earning over63 per cent of the vote to defeat Jane Pitfield.
Bob Chiarelli wasn't as fortunate in Ottawa, finishing third in an attempt to win a third mayoral term. Technology executive Larry O'Brien is the city's new mayor.
Under new provincial legislation, for the first time, all of the candidates elected on Monday will serve four-year terms instead of three.
Following are the mayoral results in some of the province's othercities:
- Challenger Dave Aspden became the new mayor of Barrie, defeating Rob Hamilton.
- Longtime provincial Tory MPP Cam Jackson emerged from a competitive race in Burlington in the bid to succeed Rob MacIsaac.
- In Hamilton, Fred Eisenberger won a seesaw battle over incumbent Larry Di Ianni.
- Kingston mayor Harvey Rosen won a tight race over challenger Rick Downes, winning by less than 800 votes. Rosen won 83.5 per cent of the vote in the last election.
- Carl Zehr won two-thirds of the vote in Kitchener, securing another term.
- Anne Marie DeCicco-Best won a third term in London, turning aside the mayoral bid of Joe Fontana, who had represented the city for the last 16 years federally as a Liberal MP.
- Ted Salci earned a second term in Niagara Falls, defeating longtime alderman Wayne Campbell.
- In North Bay, incumbent Vic Fedeli easily defeated former mayor Stan Lawlor.
- In Oakville, former YTV co-founder Rob Burton beat six-term mayor Ann Mulvale.
- In Oshawa, John Gray won re-election in a romp.
- Former city councillor Paul Ayotte became Peterborough's mayor, as Sylvia Sutherland did not seek re-election.
- In St. Catharines, Brian McMullan emerged victorious from a crowded field to replace Tim Rigby, who did not seek a fourth term.
- Mike Bradley easily won a seventh term as mayor of Sarnia.
- In Sault Ste. Marie, John Rowswell won another term as mayor, winning nearly two-thirds of the vote.
- Stratford Mayor Dan Mathieson was re-elected with approximately 75 per cent of the vote.
- In Sudbury, former NDP MP John Rodriguezfinished more than 20percentage points ahead of incumbent Dave Courtemanche.
- Thunder Bay Mayor Lynn Peterson easily won re-election.
- Tom Loughren was acclaimed mayor of Timmins, replacing the retired Vic Power.
- Brenda Halloran became the new mayor of Waterloo, beating incumbent Herb Epps.
- Windsor Mayor Eddie Francis brushed off charges from the opposition that he would leave before his next term expired to run federally as a Conservative, winning over 77 per cent of the vote.