Saskatoon mother and daughter gang duo key characters in Terror Squad torture trial

A Saskatoon mother and daughter alleged to be high-ranking members of the Terror Squad are emerging as key figures in a torture trial at provincial court.

Lindsay Okemow and daughter, Kenisha Ahenakew, known in police and court circles

Kenisha Ahenakew, left, and her mother Lindsay Okemow are key figures in the torture trial. (Saskatoon Police Service)

The mother and daughter Terror Squad gang duo is known on the street as Baby Sis and Baby Doll.

In court, they're known as Lindsay Okemow and Kenisha Ahenakew.

Okemow (Baby Sis) and Ahenakew (Baby Doll) are on trial at provincial court in Saskatoon charged with aggravated assault and unlawful confinement. The allegations date back to July 24, 2018 when a young woman was confined and tortured in a gang house at 311 Avenue S South.

Raylene Sewap already admitted to cutting off the victim's finger. She pleaded guilty in Saskatoon provincial court in September 2018 to aggravated assault and unlawful confinement. She was sentenced to five years.

Sewap claimed that she was high on meth and the only gang member there. The Crown didn't accept that, and now her co-accused are on trial.

Accused known to police and the courts

Court heard in September that the victim had been recognized at the house on Avenue S as a former Terror Squad gang member who had supposedly left to join another gang, the West Side Outlaws. She denied this, but the Terror Squad members decided to punish her by cutting off her finger.

She wanted to cut off my hand.- Torture victim

On Tuesday this week, the victim testified that she knew enough about Kenisha Ahenakew and her mother, Lindsay Okemow, to be frightened of the pair.

"At one point, Baby Doll pointed a gun at me and pretended to fire," she said under examination by prosecutor Will Collins.

"She wanted to cut off my hand."

The woman said that Ahenakew hacked and stabbed at her hand with a machete before Sewap cut off the end of the finger.

After some six hours of getting beaten and tortured, the woman was allowed to leave. She made her way to St. Paul's Hospital where she was treated and police were called.

An address, and a mother and daughter

Cst. Shelby McLean was the first police officer to interview the woman in the hospital. She described her in court as unco-operative at first, but eventually willing to describe the area where the assault occurred and name four different people.

The police Gangs and Guns unit became involved In short order.

Cst. Robert Keleman with the unit said that, as soon as he heard it happened in the area around the 300 block of Avenue S South, and that a mother and daughter had been involved, he knew who the victim was describing and where they were at. The house at 311 Avenue S South and another a block away on the 400 block of Avenue R South, were known drug and gang houses.

The torture house burned in an unexplained fire six months after the assault. (Saskatoon Fire Department)

Keleman testified that he another officer took up surveillance at the front and back of the house but were quickly identified as police.

They eventually raided the house and were able to gather evidence later presented at the trial.

Five people were eventually charged.

Sewap pleaded guilty in September and was sentenced to five years.

Charges were stayed against one suspect.

The aggravated assault and unlawful confinement trial for Okemow, Ahenakew and Shannon Cote began this week. It ran two days and will resume in August. Cote and Ahenakew were remanded in custody, Lindsay Okemow is free on bail.

On January 5, fire fighters responded to a 911 call saying the house at 311 Avenue South was on fire. They arrived to find smoke and flames coming from the front of house.

They had it under control in six minutes. The house was empty and damages were estimated at $60,000.

The fire investigator never did determine how it started. It remains boarded up today.

About the Author

Dan Zakreski is a reporter for CBC Saskatoon.