Saskatoon parkade catches fire due to improperly stored chemicals
Fire department says there was a spontaneous combustion in a storage closet
Residents were forced to evacuate a Saskatoon apartment building early Tuesday morning due to a fire in the parkade.
The fire was caused by the spontaneous combustion of improperly stored chemicals in a storage closet, according to the Saskatoon Fire Department.
No one was hurt, but there was about $25,000 in damage.
Fire crews responded at around 3:10 a.m. CST to multiple calls at the building on Pawlychenko Lane.
They found thick smoke coming from the overhead door of the parkade.
Smoke was also reported on all three floors of the building.
Firefighters ventilated the building to reduce smoke and carbon monoxide.
The fire was brought under control at 3:29 a.m CST, with tenants allowed to return to their homes an hour and a half later.
Hazmat technicians were removing the chemicals from the building Tuesday.