Saskatoon

Improper disposal of smoking material causes fire in Saskatoon's Buena Vista neighbourhood

Fire crews received a call about a fire on the 400 block of Fourth Street around 3 a.m. CST Thursday.

$75K in damage, says fire department

Everyone in the home had evacuated before fire crews arrived. (Leisha Grebinski/CBC)

A house fire in Saskatoon that caused $75,000 of damage was started by improper disposal of smoking material, says the Saskatoon Fire Department.

Fire crews received a call about a fire on the 400 block of Fourth Street around 3 a.m. CST Thursday.

When firefighters arrived, flames were visible on the back of the home. Everyone in the home had already got out.

Firefighters found a pet cat in the house and safely returned it to its owners.

The fire caused damage on the second and third floors of the home.

The fire department said much of the exterior wall of the home had to be removed to put the fire out.

The fire department is reminding people to dispose of smoking materials in non-combustible containers like glass jars with lids.

now