Saskatoon firefighter, occupant hurt after falling off ladder
Fire department was rescuing man from second floor window, both taken to hospital
Two people were taken to hospital after falling during a fire rescue Sunday night.
At about 8:10 p.m. CST, firefighters were sent to a house fire on the 200 block of Avenue N S. When they arrived, they saw smoke coming out of the multi-story house.
Crews found a man on the second floor, and believed it would be safer to set up a ladder and move him onto a low slope roof outside.
A firefighter was taking the man down the ladder when they both fell to the ground.
"It was more that the civilian stumbled and kind of lunged and our firefighter that got injured tried to catch him, and they both went down," said acting battalion chief Dale Altrogge.
Both people were taken to hospital. The firefighter suffered a broken clavicle and a rib injury. He was released and sent home.
The condition of the man inside the home still isn't known.
Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in 26 minutes.
Damage is estimated at $100,000. A fire investigator still hasn't determined how the fire started.