Sask. Children's Hospital contractor stops using lift that killed worker
Construction site reopened Wednesday after death of Eric Ndayishimiye
The construction site for Saskatoon's new Children's Hospital of Saskatchewan has reopened after a worker died in an industrial accident on July 21.
The province shut down work on the big-scale construction project after the death of Eric Ndayishimiye, 21, who was killed when a steel construction lift fell on him.
- 'It's not safe enough': Construction halted indefinitely after worker killed at Children's Hospital of Sask.
- Construction worker killed at Children's Hospital of Sask. site identified as young actor
The contractor, Graham Construction, said it had stopped using that type of lift at all of its sites.
Back to work
On Tuesday, Graham took back control of the site from the province's Occupational Health and Safety division, which had been investigating the incident.
"We conducted a comprehensive safety review and have the support of the Saskatoon Health Region to restart," said Graham vice president of buildings Colin Anderson.
He described Ndayishimiye's death as a tragedy for everyone involved.
"In addition to the investigation Graham has been in regular contact with the Ndayishimiye family to support them through this difficult time," said Anderson.
He said the completed safety review was part of a broader return to work plan that includes a detailed review of safe work procedures, job hazard and group risk assessments.
All site workers will undergo reorientation. The contractor said workers also had access to counselling.
Health Region 'confident'
Saskatoon Health Region president Dan Florizone said in a statement his department is confident the contractor had taken all the right steps to improving safety.
"Graham recognizes that long-term vigilance will be required to make and keep the site safe for everyone, every day," he said.
"It's time for work to get back underway.
"But as we move forward, we will not forget how important it is for everyone to get back home to their families and loved ones safely."
The health region has not yet shared details of its investigation.